Central Registry Checklist for Upgrading to v02.05
1. Determine and communicate any changes in reporting requirements to reporting facilities.
a. Review the appropriate reports from the CS Required Status Database to identify reporting requirements for the standard setter to which the registry reports.
b. Review the Discontinued Site-Specific Factors documents for further information about this change.
c. Determine central registry data collection policies for required, non-required, and discontinued site-specific factor data items.
d. Communicate information about requirements to reporting entities.
e. Communicate information about requirements to central registry software vendor(s) if appropriate.
2. Determine and communicate any changes in editing requirements to reporting facilities and their software vendors.
a. Review updates to the NAACCR v14 edits. Note that the SEER and COC edits for required data items have been split into two separate edits compared to previous versions of the NAACCR metafile, one for the SEER required data items and one for the COC required data items.
b. Make any required changes to edit metafile(s) used to process records in the central registry database and incoming records sent by reporting entities.
c. Make any required changes to central registry edit metafile distributed to reporting entities and/or their software vendors.
d. Distribute central registry metafile based on NAACCR v14 edits to reporting entities and/or their software vendors as appropriate.
3. Determine the schedule for the upgrade to v0205, and communicate with reporting entities when the registry will be ready to accept cases in v02.05 and when the registry will no longer accept cases in v02.04.
4. Obtain the CS v0205 Software Package for integration into the registry database system.
a. In-house system
b. Vendor-provided system
5. Reference Appendix 1, Version Numbers for information about CS Version numbers and their application in the conversion process.
6. Review Appendix 2, Specifications for Conversion and Identifying Cases for Review, and Appendix 3. Review Instructions for Cases Identified for Review and Recoding by the Conversion Program, to determine which review types apply to the registry database.
7. Develop the conversion methodology appropriate for the registry database structure and updating procedures.
a. If the Northcon program is used, consult program documentation to determine how to tailor review output to registry needs.
b. If the Northcon program is not used, consult with registry software vendor or registry IT staff to determine how to tailor review output to registry needs.
8. Test the accuracy of the conversion process using test components provided within the CSv0205 software package; test the performance of the v02.05 DLL to ensure that it is implemented correctly.
9. Convert existing cases within the central registry database using the Northcon Conversion Program or in-house program based on Conversion Specifications in Appendix 2.
10. Convert the registry database, run the CS algorithm, and produce the list of cases for review.
a. Review cases with diagnosis date in 2014
b. Review cases with changes in code definition
c. Review cases that fail to derive stage values (“ERROR” returned by CS algorithm, derived stage components and/or stage group returned as blank)
12. Recode and re-derive all derived CS fields on reviewed cases
13. Rerun all cases through the latest NAACCR v14 edits.
14. Review new submissions from hospital registries to confirm that data are sent in the correct format.
a. Check Appendix 1, Version Numbers for information about the correct CS Version numbers for converted and new data.
b. Convert any cases not submitted in v02.05 if accepted after the registry has upgraded to v02.05.
15. Obtain the CS Coding Instructions updated for v02.05, available in a standalone format with hyperlinks within the text, between the text and tables, and within the tables.
16. Update coding software to v02.05 and edits to the latest used by central registry staff or other reporters using central registry software
17. Update coding instructions for central registry staff or other reporters to incorporate references to or information from CS Coding Instructions.
18. Develop an educational program as appropriate for central registry staff and reporting registries based on changes in v02.05.
a. Review the CS Coding Instructions for new or modified information.
b. Review the Changes in CS Tables and Descriptors for helpful information in understanding some changes in derived values returned by the CS algorithm.
c. Review the Release Notes, with descriptions of all the changes to the coding instructions and schemas in v0205.
d. Check the Support for Known Issues postings for information about CS data issues which may not have been addressed in the v0205 release and any coding recommendations based on those issues.
19. Review the CS documentation to determine if changes in this release have implications for any long-term data analyses which the registry might undertake.
a. The Release Notes identify changes in coding instructions in effect with v02.05. The registry might consider annotating these changes for published trend data, or consider recoding data for cases involved in special studies.
b. New edits in the NAACCR v14 Edits Metafile contain a version check for v02.05. Some of the edits may apply to earlier cases, or they may identify cases which could be recoded using v02.05 instructions. See Appendix 5 for further discussion of edit issues.